From the Escondido Humane Society (Escondido, California 92027)
The Fourth of July is just days away. But keep in mind that while you are out enjoying the festivities, your pets may be scared at home because of the loud booms and pops from the fireworks.
Here are a few tips for making your pet comfortable and safe this Fourth of July:
- One of the most important things you can do to keep your pets safe during the holiday is to make sure they wear proper identification at all times and that they are microchipped so they can be returned home quickly if lost. We provide microchipping here at the Escondido Humane Society for $35.
- Keep your pets at home and indoors, preferably in a quiet room where there are no windows. Remove any items that your pet could destroy.
- Turn on a TV or radio to distract your pets from loud noises and help them to relax.
- Create a special area in your home where your pet feels safe, such as a crate or kennel.
- Should your dog run away, check your local animal shelters. If you live in the cities of Escondido, Poway or San Marcos, contact the Escondido Humane Society at (760) 888-BARK to see if your animal is at the shelter.
With some preparation and planning ahead, you and your four-legged family members can enjoy the holiday stress-free. Happy Fourth of July to you and your pets!