From the Dumb Friends League (Denver, Colorado 80231)
With the hustle and bustle of the holiday season in full swing, there can be lots of extra temptations around the house for curious cats and dogs. Fortunately, with a few extra steps, you can help keep your pet safe and enjoy a holiday full of cheer.
Here are some general tips when it comes to decorating your home:
- Make sure to pick up ornament hooks, tinsel and ribbons.
- Keep lit candles out of your pet’s reach, high on a counter or table so they cannot be knocked over.
- Popular holiday plants and flowers, including poinsettias and mistletoe berries, are poisonous to pets.
- Keep pets in a quiet room when having guests over, especially if your animals get nervous around strangers or crowds.
- ALWAYS make sure that your pets have proper identification—such as a collar/ID tag and a microchip ID implant—in case they do escape or become lost.
If you have a Christmas tree, keep these tips in mind:
- Beware of gifts under the tree that might contain unsafe food items – especially chocolate.
- Make sure to keep the water stand covered, as pine sap mixed with water can be toxic to pets.
- If your cat is tempted to play with ornaments, decorate the bottom third of your Christmas tree with non-breakable plastic or wooden ornaments.
- Consider decorating only the top two-thirds of your tree to eliminate the temptation altogether.
Like people, pets are drawn to food! If you are planning on hosting any parties, remember these safety tips:
- It’s best to give your pet appropriate food instead of table scraps.
- Keep holiday food—particularly chocolate, raisins and onions—away from your pets. They can lead to illness and potentially be fatal.
- No hungry dogs near the turkey! Turkey bones can easily choke pets.
- If your pet does ingest any of these, contact your veterinarian immediately.
About the Dumb Friends League
As the leading animal welfare organization in the Rocky Mountain region, the Dumb Friends League has been helping pets and people in the Denver metro area and beyond for 101 years. The Dumb Friends League has two shelter locations: its main shelter at 2080 S. Quebec St. in Denver and the Buddy Center at 4556 Castleton Court in Castle Rock. For more information about the Dumb Friends League, visit the Dumb Friends League web site or call (303) 751-5772.